The Local Government Act requires Councils to rebate the rates payable for certain land uses. This includes land used for health and community services, religious purposes, cemeteries and educational institutions. The rebates vary from 75% to 100%. People or bodies seeking a rebate must make an application to Council. Information and application forms can be obtained from the Council Office at 61 Eighteenth Street, Renmark.
Council has the power to provide discretionary rebates in certain circumstances.
All discretionary rebates are only considered on application and must be received by 31 May for consideration in the following financial year.
For more information and the circumstances in which a rebate may be granted contact Council on 8580 3000.
Postponement of Rates – Hardship
Section 182 of the Local Government Act permits the Council, on the application of the ratepayer, to partially or wholly remit rates or to postpone rates, on the basis of hardship. Where the ratepayer is suffering hardship in paying rates they are invited to contact the Council’s Rates Officer on 8580 3000 to discuss the matter. Council treats such inquiries confidentially.
Postponement of Rates – Seniors
Application may be made to Council for a postponement of the payment of any amount of rates in excess of $500.00, for the current or a future financial year by:
- A ratepayer who holds a current State Seniors Card issued by the State Government, (prescribed ratepayer) or spouse of a prescribed ratepayer, and
- Where the rates are payable on the principal place of residence, and
- Where the land is owned by the prescribed ratepayer, or the prescribed ratepayer and his or her spouse, and no other person has an interest, as owner, in the land.
Any rates which are postponed will become due and payable:
- When the title to the land is transferred to another person; or
- There is a failure to comply with a condition of postponement
Interest will accrue on the amount postponed at the prescribed rate per month until the full amount is paid. Postponement is available as a right and can only be refused when the applicant/s has less than 50% equity in the property.