The State Planning system is currently in the process of significant planning reforms. As of 1 July 2020 Renmark Paringa Council will be transferred to the Planning and Design Code under the Planning, Development and Infrastructure Act 2016. The Planning and Design Code will replace the current Development Plan. Therefore, some areas may see shifts in the principles governing development in their area.
From 1 July 2020, the development application lodgement and assessment process will change. All development applications will need to be lodged electronically through the e-Planning portal and not submitted to Council.
Further details in relation to the Planning Reforms can be found at https://www.saplanningportal.sa.gov.au/planning_reforms
What is Development?
In South Australia ‘development’ is formally defined in the Development Act 1993 and includes:
- Construction, alteration, addition and/or demolition of buildings and/or structures (including houses, sheds, garages, carports, swimming pools, etc.)
- Some excavation and filling of land
- A change in the use of the land (e.g. from a shop to an office)
- Land division or boundary realignment
- Advertising signs
- Some fencing and retaining walls
- Specific work in relation to State and Local Heritage places
- Pruning or removal of regulated and/or significant trees.
When is a Development Application required?
- Carports, Sheds, Verandahs, Outbuildings
- Decking & Shade Sails
- Home Activity
- Change of Use
- Solar Panels
- Fencing & Retaining Walls
- Swimming Pools & Spa Pools
- Dwelling Additions/Alterations
- Internal Building Work
- Land Division Guidelines
Before undertaking any development, please discuss your intentions with the relevant Council Officer/s. If you are required to lodge a Development Application, time and money can be saved if you are thoroughly prepared.
What is required with an application?
- Completed Development Application Form
- Signed Electricity Act Declaration
- A current (issued within 1 year) Certificate of Title for the land
- 2 copies of relevant documents/plans as outlined in the Development Application Checklist
- Payment of the necessary fee as per the Development Application Fees
- Demolition Application (if required)
If the need for further documents becomes evident during assessment, you will be contacted by Council requesting the provision of further information. Assessment of an application can not proceed until the complete set of required documents is provided. If you do not provide the requested information with the allocated timeframe your application can be refused.
Construction Industry Training Board Levy
Building works with an estimated value of more than $40,000 are required to pay the Construction Industry Training Board Levy. The Levy is 0.25 per cent of the total estimated value of the building work. The Levy must be paid before development approval can be issued.
Payment can be made via: http://www.citb.org.au/
Certificate of Building Indemnity Insurance
You must provide a copy of your certificate of Building Indemnity Insurance for all domestic building work with a value of more than $12,000 to be carried out by a licensed builder. If you intend to be an owner/builder, you do not need a certificate of Building Indemnity Insurance however, you must engage a licensed site supervisor and supply council with their details.
How do I submit an application?
Applications can be submitted:
In Person: 61 Eighteenth Street, Renmark
Mail: PO Box 730, Renmark, SA, 5341